Saturday, February 13, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 7

Another week, another tip! Here's your genealogy challenge for Week 7:

Play with Google Maps. This is a helpful tool for determining the locations of addresses in your family history. Where your ancestral homestead once stood may now be a warehouse, a parking lot or a field. Perhaps the house is still there. When you input addresses in Google Maps, don’t forget to use the Satellite View and Street View options for perspectives that put you were right there where your ancestors once stood. If you’ve used this tool before, take sometime and play with it again. Push all the buttons, click all the links and devise new ways it can help with your personal genealogy research. If you have a genealogy blog, write about your experiences with Google Maps, or suggest similar easy (and free) tools that have helped in your own research.


I use this tool a lot, and it is really the next best thing to being able to travel and see the location yourself. And, if you start from Earthpoint Tools for Google Earth, you can easily translate a legal description for a parcel of land to a current location!

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I am so pleased that your society is participating in the "52 Weeks to Better Genealogy" challenge that I wrote, and which is hosted at Geneabloggers.com.

    I respectfully make the same request I did last week: please link back to the "Challenge" page or at least give credit to the author. Otherwise, it appears as though your society is the creator of the Challenge.

    I'm sure this omission is unintentional. My request is more in the spirit of good blog etiquette rather than plagiarism.

    Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to reading your members' experiences with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    My sincere apologies for this oversight. As a relatively new blogger, I am still learning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ok. I figured that was the case. Thank you for replying.

    ReplyDelete